The beauty industry makes use of a variety of oils sourced from plants and argan oil is a relatively new entry into the list. Nevertheless, the people of Morocco have used argan oil for thousands of years before it became a buzzword. Argan oil is a part of beauty treatments for Moroccans. Besides, they also use it in their recipes.
Golden argan oil is extracted from the seeds of the argan tree. This oil has therapeutic properties that can improve the health of your hair, skin and nails. In fact, its consumption can even boost your general health. You will be learning more about these benefits, some of which can come to you as a revelation, in this article.
Let’s uncover the secret of how argan oil can help prevent numerous life-threatening diseases amongst other things.
1. Extracting Argan Oil: The Berber’s Way
- The local women collect and put the fruits of the argan tree to dry.
- They remove the dry husks and leave the pulp to dry.
- Once dry, the kernels are ready to be pressed.
- They add a bit of water to the kernels and grind them into a paste with the help of a stone quern and pestle.
- The resultant paste has the color of amber. The women press the paste by hand so as to extract the oil.
The Difference between Culinary and Cosmetic Argan Oil
It is imperative that you know the difference between both edible and cosmetic argan oil so that that you can pick the right one for your needs.
- Culinary Argan Oil: To obtain the culinary argan oil, the Berbers lightly roast the kernels before they grind them into a paste. A light roasting allows the kernels to produce more edible argan oil.
- Cosmetic Argan Oil: To obtain the argan oil for cosmetic purposes, the Berber women press the raw kernels. This method prevents the oil from having an unreasonably strong nutty smell.
Remember: It is common for the argan oil to have some sediment. However, the sediment does not affect the quality of the oil.
2. The Rejuvenating Nutrients Found In Argan Oil
You may be wondering why argan oil is highly beneficial for your health. The answer is simple: Argan oil is rich in a variety of nutrients. Read on to find out what they are.
As argan oil is a natural plant oil, your body can use these nutrients easily. Some of the nutrients found in this oil are:
- Essential fatty acids
- Linoleic acid
- Oleic acid
- Vitamin E
Depending on the area and method of use, these nutrients can affect various parts of the body and improve their state of health.
Now, that you have learned about the composition of argan oil, it becomes easier to understand the benefits it has for your body.
3. What’s Ailing Your Skin? Use Argan Oil For Treating Numerous Skin Conditions
If you want to bring back the beauty of your skin, argan oil is the product you are looking for. The nutrients found in argan oil are beneficial for the health of the skin. Some of these are:
- Saponins: These nutrients improve the softness of your skin and make it more supple. Saponins can reactivate the ability and capacity of the skin cells to regenerate.
- Sterols: Another compound found in argan oil is sterols. They work to reduce the inflammation in your skin. At the same time, they enhance the capacity of the skin to retain moisture. The skin becomes more hydrated, plump and smooth.
- Triterpenoids: argan oil is naturally rich in a class of compounds called triterpenoids. These compounds have several therapeutic properties which are beneficial for the skin.
- Flavonoids: Argan oil contains ample amounts of flavonoids. These compounds can act as an anti-inflammatory agent and provide relief in a number of skin diseases.
- Vitamin E: It helps to prevent moisture from evaporating from the outer layer of your skin.
- Essential Fatty Acids: Around 80 percent of argan oil is made up of essential fatty acids. These acids are capable of getting rid of wrinkles by maintaining the health of the skin cells. These essential fatty acids help to retain moisture in order to make your skin appear softer and more youthful.
You can use argan oil for the following skin ailments.
- Argan oil can prevent the growth of warts.
- It can treat certain forms of dermatitis.
- Argan oil helps treat tumorous skin cells.
- You can effectively make scars fade with argan oil.
- Argan oil can protect your skin from allergens, which can cause itchiness.
- You can use argan oil to treat psoriasis and eczema. It can alleviate the inflammatory symptoms that are common in psoriasis. It can mitigate allergies and immunity issues which cause eczema symptoms.
4. Dry Skin Leaving You Embarrassed: Find Relief With Moisturizing Properties of Argan Oil
Another restorative property of argan oil is its ability to get rid of the dryness of the skin. Individuals dealing with raw, flaky and itchy skin can get huge benefits from argan oil.
The fatty acids and vitamin E found in argan oil help to repair damaged skin and supply it with nutrients to prevent further dryness and irritation. The therapeutic nutrients of argan oil soothe dry skin. Argan oil can even protect against infections which are common among those with dry skin.
How to apply? Apply a small amount of oil directly to the affected areas of the skin and massage gently. Massaging offers immediate relief and boosts healing.
Find Other Ways to Relieve Your Dry Skin
A number of factors can cause dry skin. Winter is, by far, the most common cause of this and it affects most people. The decrease in humidity levels causes the skin to lose moisture, thus leading to dry skin problems. Here are a few solutions for dry skin:
- Switch to natural soaps. There are quite a few soaps that are harsh for the skin. These soaps can eliminate the moisture naturally present in the skin. Changing to natural soap can reduce the effects of dry skin in this case.
- Avoid hot showers. Although you may love steamy showers, they are terrible for your dry skin. They dry out the natural moisture of the skin, leading to dryness faster.
- Scrub gently. Scrubbing the skin may help in getting rid of dirt, but it will also strip away the moisture present in your skin. Use a soft washcloth for the same purpose instead.
5. Argan Oil for Your Oily Skin Problems: Say Goodbye To Acne and Greasy Appearance
Oily skin is just as big a problem as dry skin. Too much oil creates a shine on the skin, causes acne, spots and blemishes. Argan oil works to treat oil skin conditions. We know that there are numerous oils that can worsen oily skin, but argan oil soothes affected skin and stimulates healing. Here is how:
- Argan oil is non-greasy in nature. The rejuvenating properties of argan oil help to balance skin by offering natural moisture. It also contains anti-oxidants, which decrease inflammation and heal damaged skin cells.
- Argan oil can regulate the production of sebum so that the levels of the natural oils found in the skin remain at a healthy level. This oil will also provide the right amount of nutrients needed to keep the skin healthy.
How to apply? Cleanse and pat dry your skin. Apply a few drops of cosmetic argan oil to the affected skin and rub gently. Repeat the process twice to help clear up mild acne as well as to balance your oily or dry skin.
Sometimes, your oily skin needs more vigorous treatment. If even the application of argan oil is not helping your skin condition, you need to look for the cause of your acne in order to find the right treatment. Here are a few causes:
- Genes: If your family suffers from oily skin problems, the chances are that you will suffer from oily skin too. Your genes will cause the sebaceous glands to be bigger than the average, which leads to more oil production.
- Medications: There are quite a few medications which can temporarily cause the body to produce more oils than necessary.
- Seasons: During summer and spring, your sebaceous glands accelerate the production of oil due to the humidity and the heat. During winter, the drop in humidity can cause the oil glands to start overcompensating for the loss of oils.
- Skincare Products: Skincare products are supposed to take care of your skin, but using skin care products that are not designed for your skin type may be bad for it.
6. Let Stretch Marks Be a Thing of The Past With Argan Oil
Stretch marks may be a common problem, but you do not have to ignore them any longer. This is because the benefits of argan oil are not limited to skin ailments and problems only. You can use it for the prevention of stretch marks. A number of factors can cause stretch marks such as:
- The pubescent growth of breasts and hips
- Rapid weight gain in a short span of time
Argan oil will get rid of these unattractive marks by softening up the skin and improving its strength. It also enhances the elasticity of skin due to its vitamin E content.
How to apply? Use a few drops of argan oil and rub item onto the affected area such as breasts, stomach, bottom and thighs. When used during pregnancy, there is a decreased chance of developing unsightly stretch marks.
Wondering whether argan oil is only good for the skin? Find out how it helps your hair.
7. Oil Your Hair With Argan to Get Your Gorgeous Voluminous Locks Back
Your hair is prone to damage due to the excessive use of styling hair products and an unsuitable hair care routine. However, the application of argan oil can significantly improve the health and appearance of your hair. You will believe us when you will look at the people from Morocco with their thick lush hair.
The numerous advantages of using argan oil for hair health are:
- Argan oil contains oleic and linoleic acids, which keep the hair hydrated by sealing in the moisture.
- It also increases the shine and helps to controls unmanageable and frizzy hair.
- This oil can reverse and repair the hair damage caused by hot appliances such as flat irons and curling irons. It effectively repairs split ends too.
- Argan oil decreases the possibility of hair breakage by strengthening it.
- You can increase the longevity of your hair color with the application of argan oil as it helps to seal the colorants in the hair.
- The health of your hair depends on the health of your scalp. For that reason, you should take proper care of your scalp. Argan oil can help provide your scalp with all the essential nutrients.
- It can help protect your scalp from dandruff.
- It will also keep the hair roots properly hydrated.
How to apply? Rub a few drops of argan oil over your palms and then run your fingers through your hair to apply. Wash your hair after two to three hours or leave overnight.
8. Argan Oil: The Perfect Shield Against Ultraviolet Rays
Argan oil acts as a perfect sunscreen for your skin. Here is why:
- Argan oil contains significant amounts of antioxidants, which help to protect the body from damage caused by free radicals and ultraviolet rays.
- Vitamin E found in argan oil acts as a protective layer over your skin and hair; thus protecting it from the heat of the sun.
- The application of argan oil on your skin also works to repair the skin spots and hyperpigmentation caused by scorching sunrays.
- Overexposure to ultraviolet rays can cause the skin to adopt a dry leathery appearance. Argan oil can speed up the regeneration rate of healthy cells and therefore eliminate this problem.
How to apply? All you have to do is apply a few drops of argan oil to your hair and exposed skin prior to going out in the sun. Remember, the key is to slather the oil before going out in the sun.
9. Go and Flaunt Your Nails: Argan Oil Make Them Grow Long and Strong
Argan oil is not only good for the health of your skin or hair. It is beneficial for the nails as well. Argan oil improves the health of the nails and makes them stronger. This is due to the presence of high amounts of Vitamin E in the oil.
Argan oil possesses anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, which fight against skin and nail infections. Nail fungal infections often occur when the health of the nails are poor.
How to apply? Generously apply argan oil to your hands and feet, including your nails. This will moisturize your nails and keep your hands soft as well.
There is more to come. Find out how argan oil can improve your overall health.
10. Incorporate Argan Oil into Your Cuisine To Give A Boost To Your Immune System
Researchers have conducted tests and studies on the effects of consuming argan oil with food. They notice that the results are outstanding. More importantly, researchers found that argan oil helps to strengthen the immune system. This is because of the high amounts of antioxidants present in argan oil.
Potent antioxidants of argan oil helps stimulate the proper functioning of the immune system and thereby improves the body’s capability to fight off infections and diseases. Of course, a stronger immune system is better for your overall well-being and health.
How to use? Add culinary grade argan oil to your foods. You can use argan oil in a similar way as olive oil. Basically, argan oil is used as a seasoning ingredient.
11. Is Your Digestive System Out Of Sync? Try Argan Oil
Argan oil can increase the concentration of pepsin in the gastric juices of your body. Pepsin is one of the major digestive enzymes present in your stomach.
The increase in the concentration of pepsin in the body helps bring about an improvement in your digestion as well. And, when your digestion is good, you feel more active and energetic. A healthy digestive system decreases your appetite and causes hunger pangs. This, in turn works to help you with your weight loss program.
Did you know that argan oil can help diabetics too? Read on to find out more.
12. Good News for Diabetics: Argan Oil Helps Decrease Insulin Resistance
Argan oil is capable of decreasing insulin resistance in people. Resistance to insulin is typically the first step to developing full-fledged diabetes. Therefore, by decreasing the resistance to insulin, argan oil can prevent the onset of diabetes and help improve the conditions to those already suffering from this disease.
There is another way argan oil can help alleviate diabetes. The oil can reverse the metabolic changes that occur in people who have followed a diet that was high in sugar. The reversal is beneficial for the diabetic condition.
13. Argan Oil Can Lower Your Cholesterol Too
Argan oil contains a unique combination of two plant sterols. They are spinasterol and schottenol. These sterols work inside the intestinal tract and are capable of helping the body by blocking the absorption of bad cholesterol.
Bad cholesterol is certainly harmful to the body. It can affect various parts of the body such as the digestive system, the liver and the cardiovascular system. It can have a lethal effect on the health of the cardiovascular system as high levels of bad cholesterol are a major factor of heart attacks.
In order to prevent such problems, you should replace the less healthy oils with argan oil in your diet.
14. Heart Healthy: Make Your Heart Smile Again With Argan Oil
There are several reasons why argan oil is beneficial for your heart and your cardiovascular system. As mentioned before, it is capable of reducing the bad cholesterol levels in the body. At the same time, argan oil comprises unsaturated fatty acids which are good for the body. These fatty acids help regulate the concentration of cholesterol in the body and reduce the risks of developing blocked arteries which can contribute to various cardiovascular diseases.
Besides, argan oil is capable of reducing blood pressure. Lower blood pressure significantly lessens the risk of various cardiovascular diseases, including coronary attacks. According to studies, argan oil helps improve the blood circulation in the body, which leads to better functioning of the body.
Argan oil is good for your heart. But that’s not all. There is another major benefit that can surprise you. Keep reading.
15. Healing Properties of Liquid Gold Kills Cancer
Researchers have conducted numerous studies to determine if there is any link between argan oil and cancer. The results of those studies show that argan oil is capable of fighting certain types of cancer. Some of the types of cancer it can combat are:
- Skin cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Colon cancer
- Bladder cancer
- Other cancerous growths in the body caused by inflammation or infection
The cancer-fighting properties of argan oil are good because of its high concentration of powerful antioxidants, which act as a strong barrier against free radicals that can cause cancer. The antioxidants are capable of repairing cellular damage and lessen the ability of the cancerous cells to grow, which in turn decreases the risks of full-blown cancer.
So, there you have it: the miraculous benefits of argan oil. All of these benefits are useful and some of them are absolutely vital. However, you should always make sure that you find pure argan oil so as to experience its effective relief. You can find pure argan oil from online stores, your nearby supermarket or your local health store.